Milonic provide full featured pull down web menus for some of the worlds largest companies
click here to see what it can do for you

Download Milonic DHTML Menu
Buy Milonic DHTML Menu

Back To Start Of Archive
Taken From The Forum: Help & Support for DHTML Menu Version 5+
Forum Topic: Click to view post
Last Updated: Friday July 25 2014 - 06:07:22

Expanding tree menu


Poster: paulv
Dated: Tuesday January 15 2008 - 10:28:59 GMT

We are trying out your expanding tree menu which I understand is not acutally fully released at the moment.

Most of it appears to work but we do have an issue with menus not opening.

We have some test pages at

http://www.wiltscoll.ac.uk/external/test/

Using Internet Explorer 7 Click on 'Test menu'. It expands. Click on say 'Test 3' which takes you to a new page keeping the menu open as expected.
Click on 'Student Services' it expands. Then click on 'Test Menu' but it does not close 'Student Services' menu and the 'Test Menu' does not expand. If you then click on a menu above it like 'Course information' that expands correctly but menus below do not expand.

Is this to do with some menu items having trees items but other menu items not have tree items.

Paul

Re: Expanding tree menu


Poster: Ruth
Dated: Tuesday January 15 2008 - 17:55:34 GMT

Hi,

Unfortunately, I do not have IE 7 and John doesn't seem to be on today. I'll try to email and get him to check it.

One thing, I am not getting the open menu when I go to that page having clicked the test 3 item. The reason is you are using openmenusbyurl.js which is not really for collapse menus. I don't know which menu is supposed to be open, if it is the test menu one then you would code this on the page where you want it to open. Most put it the last thing before the closing body tag. As I can't see the problem I'm not sure if this will fix it or not.

<script type="text/javascript">
openBranchByName("test7");
</script>

Ruth

Re: Expanding tree menu


Poster: John
Dated: Tuesday January 15 2008 - 19:30:53 GMT

I followed exactly the steps you outlined and did not see any of the failures you described. Have you made any site changes since your last post?

Re: Expanding tree menu


Poster: paulv
Dated: Thursday January 17 2008 - 14:28:47 GMT

It looks like the problem was the openmenusbyurl.js and after removing it the Javascript error stopped.

Adding the following to open the menu works correctly on a blank page http://www.wiltscoll.ac.uk/external/test/index.htm

<script type="text/javascript">
openBranchByName("menu7");
</script>

but I am having problems with placing the menu onto our other pages in that the sub menu is offset on all browsers as shown on http://www.wiltscoll.ac.uk/external/test/default.asp.

Putting buildAfterLoad=true into the collapse_data.js file sorts out the offset, but then the pages do not automatically open the sub menu branch.

Have I placed the javascript include files in the correct place on the page ?

Paul

Re: Expanding tree menu


Poster: John
Dated: Thursday January 17 2008 - 15:18:56 GMT

While the calls should work in either the head or body, I have found that placing them as the first item after the body tag seems to work better.

Also, you can use the 'new' formatting calls, and, if you're not supporting NS4 (who is?), you can leave that one out...
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="milonic_src.js"></script>
<noscript><a href="http://www.milonic.com/">JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic</a></noscript>
<script type="text/javascript" src="mmenudom.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="menu_data.js"></script>

etc.

Re: Expanding tree menu


Poster: paulv
Dated: Friday January 18 2008 - 16:08:44 GMT

We have still not been able to stop the sub menu offsetting as shown on

http://www.wiltscoll.ac.uk/external/test/default.asp

This happens on all browsers with all submenus.

Is there a way to off setting the sub menus other than using top="offset=-20" which we have tried and which dosn't seem to help.

Paul

Re: Expanding tree menu


Poster: Ruth
Dated: Friday January 18 2008 - 18:48:03 GMT

Hi,

It is from the css, and I have no idea how to fix it. I don't do much css design. Anyway, the problem is resulting from these

Code:
#main {
   PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; DISPLAY: block; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: auto; WIDTH: 960px; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto; PADDING-TOP: 0px; POSITION: relative; TEXT-ALIGN: left
}
#content {
   BORDER:1px solid red;PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; LEFT: 480px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: -480px; WIDTH: 960px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; POSITION: absolute; TEXT-ALIGN: left
}


The issue is corrected with this css

Code:
#main {
   PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; DISPLAY: block; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: auto; WIDTH: 960px; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto; PADDING-TOP: 0px; TEXT-ALIGN: left;
}
#content {
   PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; WIDTH: 960px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; TEXT-ALIGN: left
}


And with that, column2 needs to be sized at 510px.

I'm not saying to use this, only that the problem is in the position:relative;position:absolute and the left and margin-left - number in the #content.

This seems to cause no problem in how it looks at 1024x768 in FF, NN7 and 9, Safari3 for pc. But, as usual IE is a problem, it shifts all the way left, but none of the other browsers do that. Can't test on Mac though.

Hope this helps. Maybe since you do css you would know how to set something up.

Ruth