Milonic provide full featured pull down web menus for some of the worlds largest companies
click here to see what it can do for you

Download Milonic DHTML Menu
Buy Milonic DHTML Menu

Back To Start Of Archive
Taken From The Forum: Help & Support for DHTML Menu Version 5+
Forum Topic: Click to view post
Last Updated: Thursday February 8 2018 - 06:02:39

Strange HTTPS problems

Poster: SolfaWEB
Dated: Thursday November 3 2005 - 18:03:57 GMT

I'm not sure if this is a problem similar to other experiences or a completely new issue. I've looked and can't quite locate anything that solves the issue within the forum. But it may be that I've not spent enough hours looking :D

Below is a link where the page works in standard http

Unfortunately as soon as you use https the menu stops functioning

Yes, blank.html is in my route directory.

If eveything is in SSL such as the link below, everything works.

The problem actually seems to be if the menu frame is not in SSL but the display frame is. Any solutions?


Poster: Ruth
Dated: Thursday November 3 2005 - 19:34:01 GMT


I don't have access to https so I can't experiment which is how I usually find the problem or solution. Maybe you need to set the frame name=menu src= etc, to having the src using the full path? I believe it has to be the path. In the second link which doesn't work the menu frame is src=

Code: Select all

which translates to

Code: Select all
and the main frame has the full path back to http:// so for the menu it's as if it is trying to load the submenus across different framesets, not just different frames, which the mm_nav module is designed to let it do. Maybe you could use the full path for the menu frame back to http just like the one for the main goes back to http? Sorry I couldn't be more help.


Poster: SolfaWEB
Dated: Thursday November 3 2005 - 19:43:49 GMT

Thanks for the feedback. I've got every url using the full or command paths. WHat is strange is that when the menu is fully https:// it happily allows users to get to the none http:// pages directed to by the menu system. Unfortunately the menu then will not display the sub menu.

I really should have mentioned in my original message that the error is that the submenu will not display in the main display frame if the menu frame and the main display frame are not both using either ssl or non-ssl pages. As soon as you mix a frame with ssl and non-ssl pages the menu stops showing the submenu.

I'm wandering if the mm_navframe.js file needs additional programming to cater for the mix. I'm just amazed if that is the case as that would make me the first to mention the issue. Which is not likely, or is it?

I'm happy to test any ideas anyone has.

Poster: Ruth
Dated: Thursday November 3 2005 - 20:26:45 GMT


If you view the source of the page when you are at https: it does not have a full path for the menu frame. It just shows src=

Code: Select all

Not the full path. Since you are at https, then I would guess that it is taking the menu page from https, not http, but you have the full path for the 'main' frame which is http. In effect it seems to me that the main menu is on a page on one server and the submenus are on a page on another since you're calling the page from http and I'm assuming the menu programming is looking for main as its target but not finding it since it's not on the same server. So I was suggesting you put in the full path to the menu page, just like you have it for the main page, http:// and so on.

Not sure I'm using the correct terms here, but hopefully it's makes sense.


Poster: Ruth
Dated: Thursday November 3 2005 - 20:38:22 GMT

:oops: Missed the second part of the equation about modifying the module. I don't think that will be possible. I'm sorry I'm not a programmer nor do I do functions, so my explanations tend to be 'analogies' rather than technical.

I think of frames kind of like condos. Each 'frame' is its own condo, and all condos are in one building. But, with you having things at http and also https it's like you have two sets of condos in differnt buildings. Almost like having two browsers open and trying to get a page in one browser to do something in the other... sort of. I'm sure the technical explanation would be much better. And what do I know, maybe there is some way to do it, using some function for reading the full url or something.


Poster: Andy
Dated: Monday November 7 2005 - 15:01:25 GMT


Just for the record, we have now removed the need for blank.html in the next version of the menu (v 5.735)

This version should be released within the next dat or so.

-- Andy

Poster: SolfaWEB
Dated: Thursday November 10 2005 - 16:41:02 GMT

I've given up trying tomix the frames with ssl and non-ssl pages. The website now moves from a non-ssl frameset to a ssl-frameset in entirity.